Data collection

Do you need advice or information? Do you have a personal, administrative, or financial issue? ULB’s social workers are there to help you see things more clearly.

Visit us on your MonULB portal, in the ‘My virtual secretariat’ - ‘My financial situation’ - ‘Ma demande d’aide financière’ - ‘Dans mes frais d’études’. 
After filling out the online form, you will be directed to your digital case file. There, you can upload all the documentation required.

  • Soit en prenant RDV via ce lien 
  • Soit en envoyant un e-mail : à l’adresse (avec vos NOM, Prénom, matricule ULB, numéro de GSM et l’objet de votre demande)

You can follow the financial aid application procedure step by step, by downloading this guide.


In order for financial aid to be provided, certain criteria related to academic achievements, country of citizenship, and income must be met.

Academic criteria

  • The student must be enrolled as a full-time student at the undergraduate or graduate level
  • Over the course of their studies, a student may apply for financial aid from the Student Welfare Office for up to 7 years, broken down as follows:
    • No more than 4 years of financial aid may be provided during undergraduate studies (Bachelor’s programme).
    • No more than 3 years of financial aid may be provided during graduate studies (Master’s programme), if the student’s course load is 120 ECTS.

Depending on your specific situation (longer studies, duration of the Master’s programme, extraordinary circumstances, etc.), the number of years of financial aid may be adjusted. Do not hesitate to visit us for more information.

Citizenship criteria

  • Belgian

  • Assimilated to a Belgian citizen

    • Belgian father, mother, or legal guardian
    • Father, mother, or legal guardian living and working in Belgium or receiving replacement income
    • Spouse living and working in Belgium or receiving replacement income
    • Student living and working in Belgium or receiving replacement income
    • Note: ‘working’ means a permanent contract and a minimum income of €19,400 for the past two years.
    • Receiving benefits from a CPAS
    • Applied for UN refugee status
    • UN refugee status
    • Father, mother, or legal guardian with UN refugee status
  • EU:

    Via the request for financial assistance, the Student Social Service will be able to offer you, if you meet the financial and academic conditions, assistance for the purchase of your books as well as the payment of your annual public transport subscription. in Brussels (tram - bus - metro).

    There is no monthly financial aid for students from the European Union because Belgian law specifies that you must have at least € 679 / month to study and not ask the Belgian State for anything. 
    The means of existence that a student should have

  • Students from outside the EU

    • Students who not assimilated to Belgian citizens and who have a student visa are not eligible for financial aid. However, exceptions may be granted if they can provide proof of a major change in their guarantor’s situation. The unforeseeable and exceptional nature of this change will be judged on a per-case basis (e.g. death or severely disabling disease of the guarantor).
    • Students from a developed country and/or who pay additional fees are not eligible to any financial aid from the Student Welfare Office.

Financial criteria

Financial aid is granted to students with modest resources. The income of the people on whom the student is dependent—or the income of the student themself, if applicable—must not be above set limits. The income used for this calculation is the household’s income, i.e. taxable and non-taxable income in Belgium.

Types of aid

Financial aid is limited (maximum amount in 2021-2022), and depends on criteria defined by the CASE. The amounts given cover expenditures related to studies:

  • The Student Welfare Office contributes to the cost of books and handouts
  • For exceptional expenses, the Office may contribute to costs incurred to buy or rent equipment directly related to your studies.
  • The Office contributes to the cost of public transportation. In Brussels, the tramway, bus and metro networks are run by STIB. Brussels is also served by several railway stations. The Belgian company in charge of railways is SNCB. These two companies give preferential rates to students and recipients of social benefits. Please visit their respective websites for pricing information.
  • The Office contributes to costs related to dissertations. The aid may be given in the form of money, or as a PUB card, and only covers a single year.
  • Exceptionally, the Office may contribute to your medical costs (vision, hearing, etc.). It works in close collaboration with ULB’s Medical Centre.

The Student Welfare Office mainly provides the types of aid listed above, that are directly related to your studies. This aid can be completed by a cash allowance.

Pre-exam allowance and student job allowance

The programme’s goal

To enable students who must partially support themselves with their own financial resources from the beginning of the academic year to take time off work in order to prepare for their exams. Students who are financially independent are not eligible for a student job allowance. The block allowance is reserved for students from the countries included in this list.
If you are looking for a job, the SWO can help you through the ULB Jobteaser site.

How to receive this aid

  • Students may submit an application for social and financial aid to the Student Welfare Office.
  • They must provide proof of employment for the 4 months leading up to the exam revision period.
  • An appointment with a social worker will be arranged in order to review the student’s situation.

Calculation of the pre-exam allowance and the student job allowance

The pre-exam and student job allowances are calculated based on the average wage paid during the months leading up to the aid being granted. The allowances are paid in January and June, and may also be paid if the student has a second session of exams. Students who are required to complete an internship may also qualify for a student job allowance.

Board of appeal

The Student Welfare Office’s decision to grant or deny financial aid may be appealed to the board of appeal (‘commission de recours’). In this case, the student will be summoned for a hearing with the members sitting on the board of appeal. If the student is not present at the hearing, the board of appeal will re-examine their case file based on the results of the investigation conducted by the Student Welfare Office.


The student writes a letter to the president of the board of appeal, Victor BRUNFAUT, which they send by e-mail or give in person to their social worker. The student must specify:

  • in the header: ‘Commission de recours’ + their student ID number
  • social situation
  • financial situation
  • content of the request

The students will be summoned by the board of appeal for a hearing.

Members of the board of appeal

  • Président: Victor BRUNFAUT
  • One elected member of the scientific staff
  • Two elected members of the student body
  • One representative of the Student Welfare Office (SWO)

Updated on September 28, 2021