When applying for a visa or renewal of a residence permit for studies or orientation year in Belgium, a non-EU national must provide proof of sufficient financial resources to cover living, study, health care and repatriation expenses for the entire duration of his/her stay (academic year or quadrimester).

Proof of sufficient means of subsistence is provided by producing one of the following documents:

  • a certificate of scholarship or loan
  • a commitment by a guarantor to take charge of the student (called Annexe 32), validated by the Belgian embassy or consulate of your country of origin, or by the foreigners’ service of your municipality if you already reside in Belgium. For more information, please consult the website of the “Office des Étrangers” or contact the Belgian embassy of your home country.
    Beware that there are people who offer to act as guarantor in exchange for a sum of money. Never use this service, it is a fraud.
  • a "blocked account" certificate: payment of a sum of money (minimum amount required x number of months of your stay in Belgium) into the bank account of the higher education institution in which you are registered, have been accepted to register or graduated.

The ULB now offers the blocked account service to all its students, future students and recent graduates, from the 2023-2024 academic year onwards.

Minimum monthly amount* Handling fees
Expatriation insurance fees
(for visa applications)
Single 789 € 150 € 0.55 per day (approx. €108 for 6 months or €235 for 13 months)
Family reunion 1969 € 150 € Only for the student/graduate : 0.55 per day (approx. €108 for 6 months or €235 for 13 months)

*The Belgian authorities (Office des Étrangers) set annually the minimum amount of sufficient means of subsistence that is required.

Please note that the cost of living may be higher in Brussels. You can check online to estimate the amount you will need.

NB: you may transfer funds to that account only if you have received and signed your Blocked Account Agreement.

Information about the blocked account service

For more information, please read our guide :

 / 1

Blocked account application for the 2024-2025 academic year

The link to the blocked account application form for the year 2024-2025 will be available on our site from April 2024.

Updated on February 21, 2024