1. Accueil
  2. EN
  3. Studying at ULB
  4. Enrolment

Information for foreign students

Are you a foreign student who has chosen, or is considering, a study programme at ULB? We appreciate your interest. Before sending us your application, please read the following information carefully. Certain of the procedures outlined below may be required for your studies at ULB.

Procedures for EU and non-EU students

French Proficiency

Master with a focus on teaching or ‘agrégation’ programme
If you do not hold a degree delivered in the French Community of Belgium and wish to sit the entrance exam for a master with a focus on teaching or the ‘agrégation’ programme, you must provide proof of French proficiency following the procedure laid down by the faculty's admission board.
Other master-level programmes are not subject to this requirement, which concerns only the masters with a focus on teaching and the ‘agrégation’ programme.

All information on the French proficiency exam for applicants to a master-level programme

Foreign degrees and equivalencies

Equivalency is a process by which study programmes completed abroad may be recognised as equivalent to study programmes completed in institutions in the French Community of Belgium.

All information on equivalency requirements.

Procedures for non-EU students

Specific access requirements for bachelor-level-programmes

Students from non-EU countries are subject to the criteria laid down by the admission board for the first year of bachelor studies. If you are a student from a non-EU country, please make sure you meet the requirements before you submit your application to the first year of a bachelor-level programme, as administrative fees (€200) are non-refundable.

Read the admission requirements for bachelor-level programmes for non-EU students.


If you are from a non-EU country but meet one of the assimilation criteria, you will be considered to be from an EU country for the purposes of admission and enrolment (requirements, fees, etc.).

More information about assimilation

Visa and stay in Belgium

If you are from a non-EU country, you will need a visa to study in Belgium

Visa procedure:


Submit your application online between February and April.


While you are waiting for the University's decision, you may contact the Belgian consulate or embassy nearest to your place of residence in order to learn about the process and the other documents required.


If your application is approved, you will receive an admission letter from the University. This document will be required as part of the visa application process, which you must complete as soon as possible.

More information about the visa procedure.

Students from China

Students from China who have completed part of their higher education in China and wish to pursue studies in the Wallonia-Brussels Federation (WBF) must follow the APS procedure before they can obtain a student visa from the relevant Belgian authorities in China.

More information

Refugee students

ULB has created a structure offering a first line of support for refugee students. More information: ULB DESK FOR REFUGEES

Updated on October 14, 2021