We present here the main information you will need to prepare your stay at ULB, we also invite you to read our Guide for exchange students or download specific documents in the left-side column of this webpage.

Your Learning Agreement

How can I prepare my "Learning Agreement"?

  • Check out ULB's curricula and courses;
  • Choose the courses that you would have followed at your home university;
  • Get your selection approved by your academic coordinator in your home university;
  • After this approval, send it to us via our online form (you will be sent a link by your academic coordinator at ULB). 
Visa application
  • Depending on your country of origin, you may be asked for a student visa or a temporary residence permit upon arrival in Belgium. 
  • We advise you to apply as soon as possible to the Belgian Consulate nearest to your home. 
  • For more information, please also consult the information of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs.
  • If your application to stay as an exchange student has been accepted by our services, you will be asked to pay the ULB "civil liability" insurance. This will cover you in the event of damage or accidents occurring during your academic activities.
  • Also make sure that you take out hospitalisation, repatriation and civil liability insurance, covering you in the event of illness, as well as in the event of accidents and damage that you may suffer or cause outside your academic activities.
  • When your request for an exchange stay is accepted by ULB, you will receive by email practical information on how to find accommodation in our city.
  • The accommodation service of our university can also give you tips on how to find private accommodation. For more information, please visit the website of the Housing Office.
  • If you have not found accommodation ("kot"), when you arrive at ULB, the first thing to do is to come and take note of the ads that are displayed in the university corridors as well as at the ULB Housing Office. 
  • The Housing Office is located on the Solbosch campus, on the floor of building F, between the two university restaurants.
Learning French
  • ULB is a French-speaking university. Even though many Masters are taught partly or entirely in English, our main language remains French.
  • Coming to study at the Université Libre de Bruxelles is a fantastic opportunity to develop your knowledge of the French language while evolving on a daily basis in the highly cosmopolitan capital of Europe.
  • In order to improve the language skills of international students, ULB offers a wide range of French courses, before the academic year starts and during the academic year.
Budget estimation

To live in Brussels on a modest budget, you will need to expect a budget of around €800 per month, of which a little over half will be needed for housing.  

  • If you don't have a grant, you can always find a student job, but bear in mind that this will not enable you to fully finance your study stay, as there are legal limitations on the number of hours students have to work.  
  • If you come from one of the countries of the European Community, you simply need to register at the local administration and your ULB student card will suffice to have access to student jobs.
  • For non-European students, you will need to apply for a work permit in order to have the right to work as a student job seeker.
Coming to ULB
  • Upon your arrival at ULB, you will be contacted by the administrative coordinator of your host faculty who will set up an appointment with you or invite you to an information session. 
  • At this meeting, you will be informed about the courses, course schedules, and you will receive your student card and registration certificates.
Updated on June 24, 2020